What would our schools be doing with a Sinking Fund?
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018, the Coloma Community Schools Board of Education will ask voters to approve a 1.25 mill sinking fund request for the renovation and repair of district facilities, along with site and safety/security improvements. The Building & Site Sinking Fund would be used for specific repairs and improvements in our district. In the first 5 years of our sinking fund we would plan to add:
- A new roof on Coloma High School and the main gymnasium.
- Improved school security/safety in all buildings with the additions of cameras, improved doors/locks and site lighting, where needed.
- Resurface parking lots at the junior high, high school, and intermediate buildings.
- Improve the playground at Coloma Intermediate for our 4th/5th grade students, while also being available for our community to use after school hours.
- Improvements at Alwood Gym, including new roof, bleachers, remodeled entry way and renovating the bathrooms.
In addition we would hope to address any needs with our aging boiler systems, renovate some of the older classrooms and hallways in our elementary and high school, and any other issues that might arise over the next 10 years.
Taking care of our schools is a top priority for our Board of Education and part of our strategic plan!! Our desire is to provide school facilities that reflect the Comet Pride that exists among our current students, staff, and alumni, while also helping to attract new families to our schools and community. We encourage you to join us on Monday, March 26 or Wednesday, April 18 in the high school auditorium at 7:00 PM for informational meetings on the upcoming Sinking Fund. We hope to share information, answer any questions, and gather feedback from our community about the changes we would all like to see in our schools and facilities. We hope to see you there!!
Thank you for your support and investment in our schools!!